Paid Opportunities: Research Assistant for Youth and Media at the Berkman Center
This position represents an ideal opportunity for those interested in taking a year off before graduate school or continued academic studies.
About Youth and Media: YaM is a collaborative, fast-paced group that brings together young people, leading researchers and developers from the Berkman Center, and mentors from the Center’s broader network to engage creatively with the core challenges and opportunities that youth face online. More information about YaM can be found on our website (http://youthandmedia.org).
About you: Research assistants will have the opportunity to become key members of the Youth and Media team and participate in the larger Berkman Center community while gaining valuable professional, writing, and research experience in a dynamic environment. A successful applicant will be detail-oriented, flexible, and hard working, and will have a passion for or interest in the relationship between young people and technology. Above all, candidates must be good writers and editors who are comfortable in a variety of writing style, and either knowledgeable about or eager to learn new skills in writing (grant writing, memo writing, academic writing, report writing, newsletter writing, and so on).
- Knowledge of and/or interest in issues surrounding youth engagement with digital technology
- Experience in fields such as education, media studies, library and information science, anthropology (ethnography), sociology, journalism, communications, law, or psychology
- Strong writing skills
- Experience with copy editing as well as editing for flow and style
- Excellent critical reading comprehension, with the ability to absorb material quickly
Desired skills/experiences include:
- Advanced research skills, such as transcript analysis, qualitative data coding, and study design
- Media production, curriculum development, previous teaching experience, quantitative research (conducting surveys), qualitative research (conducting interviews or observational studies).
- “Full-time” means that the time commitment for this position will cycle between two different periods: it will start with 90 days of full-time (35 hours/week) work, transition to 60 days of part-time (17.25 hours/week) work, and then continue this transition back and forth for the term of the position.
- Compensation is the standard Harvard RA rate of $11.50/hour.
- No other benefits are provided.
- This position is based in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and remote participation is not possible for this opportunity.
- Unfortunately we are not able to sponsor a visa for this position.
- The start date is June 1st, 2014.
To apply: Please send your current CV or resume and a cover letter summarizing your interest and experience to the Youth and Media team (firstname.lastname@example.org) with “Application for Youth and Media RA” in the subject line.